Description of the radar set, tactical-technical characteristics
Figure 1: Aries NAV
|frequency:||9.2 … 9.5 GHz
|pulse repetition time (PRT):|
|pulse repetition frequency (PRF):|
|average power:||0.005 … 5 W|
|instrumented range:||40 NM (≙ 74 km)|
|range resolution:||0.5 m|
|hits per scan:|
Aries is operating in the X-Band radar family. The radars use frequency modulated continuous waveforms and large bandwidth, allowing long detection ranges with minimum peak transmission power, low probability of intercept (LPI) performances and high robustness against external interference.
An 80 watt power amplifier with a range of 250 NM is also available as an option. The bandwidth can be increased to 8.9 … 9.5 GHz, which improves the range resolution to 25 cm.
- The Aries NAV Navigation and Surface Surveillance is designed to aid the navigation of ships. Detecting objects on the surface and land masses and has a secondary low altitude aerial surveillance capability. Operationally, the Aries NAV performs a 360° search for all targets within range and determines their distance and bearing.
- The Aries SAAS is designed to detect and determine the distance and bearing of air targets (including missiles) as well as perform control and guidance tasks for helicopters and other aircraft. The Aries SAAS can be integrated with an IFF system and includes the capabilities of the Aries NAV.
- The coastal surveillance radar Aries CS is capable of detecting small targets on the surface both at short and long range in bad weather and sea conditions. Possible applications include counterterrorism, illegal immigration detection, smuggling and drug trafficking, search and rescue, and trafficking control.
- Aries S (Submarine) was designed to perform surveillance and navigation duties on new generation submarines such as the S-80 and is claimed to be virtually undetectable by today's tactical ESM means. The Aries S is installed in a structure that does not penetrate the hull, and the size and shape of its transceiver designed to fit the mast of a submarine.
- The Aries PAR is a precision approach radar and aids in helicopter and aircraft approach control tasks. In coordination with other radars of greater range such as the Aries SAAS.