Description of the radar set, tactical-technical characteristics
|frequency:||2 500 MHz
|pulse repetition time (PRT):|
|pulse repetition frequency (PRF):|
|peak power:||500 W|
|instrumented range:||2.75 km|
|hits per scan:|
The AN/APG-5 was operating in the S-Band lightweight air-borne fire-control radar equipment developed from experimental SCR-523 radar. It is an automatic ranging equipment (air range only, ARO radar) that supplies target information to a lead computing sight, as used in the upper and lower gun turrets of aircraft. The antenna, mounted on the gun turret and rotatable with it, directs the transmitted pulses toward a selected target in a 28° wide beam.
First named the SCR-726, the AN/APG-5 came into production by the Galvin Corporation in 1944 (since 1947: Motorola). After successful firing tests with improved units at Eglin Field, Florida, the U.S.Army ordered 400 sets for use in Boeing B-17, B-24, and F-86A-5.