Description of the radar set, tactical-technical characteristics
Figure 1: AN/CPS-6B
|frequency:||2 700 … 3 019 MHz
|pulse repetition time (PRT):|
|pulse repetition frequency (PRF):||600 Hz or 300 Hz|
|pulsewidth (τ):||1 µs or 2 µs|
|peak power:||5 × 900 kW|
|accuracy:||azimuth: 0.5°; height: 500 ft|
|hits per scan:|
|antenna rotation:||2 to 15 rpm|
AN/CPS-6 was an ancient ground based medium-range combined search and height-finder system. This equipment operated in the S-Band. By virtue of its “Vee” beam operation this equipment will be capable of supplying range, azimuth and elevation information. Because of its instantaneous presentation of height information, without the use of separate height-finder radars, type AN/CPS-6 radar are particularly useful in areas in which higher traffic may be anticipated.
The AN/CPS-6 was developed during the later stages of World War II by the Radiation Laboratory at MIT. The first units were produced in mid-1945. General Electric developed and produced the A-model and subsequent B-model at a plant in Syracuse, New York the later company headquarters of Martin-Marietta and then Lockheed-Martin. The radar used five transmitters at different frequencies. One radar unit and its ancillary electronic equipment had to be transported in eighty-five freight cars. It took twenty-five people to operate the radar. The US Air Force phased out the 6B model between mid-1957 and mid-1959.
Radar Set AN/FPS-10 is similar to Radar Set AN/CPS-6B, differing only in the number of indicators used in the absence of B-scan indicators. The technical characteristics are the same. Thirteen of these units served within the first permanent network.
- Military Standardisation Handbook TM 11-487C-1/MIL-HDBK-162A, Volume 1, p. 31, p. 99