Description of the radar set, tactical-technical characteristics
MIT's Radiation Laboratory,
Radio Corporation of America
|frequency:||9 230 to 9 404 MHz|
|pulse repetition time (PRT):|
|pulse repetition frequency (PRF):||539 Hz|
|pulsewidth (τ):||0.5 and 2 µsec|
|peak power:||250 kW|
|instrumented range:||60/120 NM (≙ 110/220 km)|
|hits per scan:|
AN/TPS-10 was an X-Band nodding height-finding radar. The transmitter/receiver electronic was essentially a stripped down version of the AN/CPS-6B. The transmitter used a magnetron of type 6002/QK221. The display was an RHI-scope with a cathode-ray tube of 12" diameter.
MIT's Radiation Laboratory developed and produced the first version of this radar near the end of World War II. Zenith produced the A-model sets in the post-war period. The vertically mounted antenna was three feet wide and ten feet long. Two operators were needed to run the set. The initial model operated at a frequency of 9 000 to 9 160 MHz and had a maximum reliable range for bombers of 60 miles at 10 000 feet.
AN/FPS-4 and AN/MPS-8
An updated version designated the AN/FPS-4 was produced by the Radio Corporation of America (RCA) beginning in 1948. Some 450 copies of this and the trailer-mounted AN/MPS-8 version were built between 1948 and 1955.