www.radartutorial.eu www.radartutorial.eu Card Index of Radar Sets - Ancient Radars

P-8 “Knife Rest”

Description of the radar set, tactical-technical characteristics

Figure 1:


(click to enlarge: 640·480px = 70 kByte)

Figure 1:

Specifications
frequency: VHF-Band
pulse repetition time (PRT):
pulse repetition frequency (PRF):
pulsewidth (τ):
receiving time:
dead time:
peak power: 70 … 75 kW
average power:
instrumented range: 150 km
range resolution:
accuracy:
beamwidth: 24°
hits per scan:
antenna rotation: 2 min⁻¹
MTBCF:
MTTR:

P-8 “Knife Rest”

The P-8 (Russian name: “Volga”, Cyrillic: «Волга») was created in 1949-1950 and was included in the armament of the then Soviet Army in 1951. This radar station was loaded on two trucks of type “ZiL 157”. It used 4 Yagi- antennas on a thin tube mast with a height of 30 meters. The P-8 included the “Kremnij 1” secondary radar and two electric generator trailers.

A rough altitude determination was possible using a goniometer for the phase comparison between both antenna planes.

The secondary radar wasn't synchronized with the primary radar antenna yet. Its antenna on an additional mast could be remotely rotated in the desired direction to be interrogated by a hand crank. Indication of the identifier was on an A-scope, which was used in conjunction with the apparatus for altitude determination.

Picture gallery of the P-8

Picture 2: Yagi antennas of the P-8 (right mast) with the secondary radar Kremnij-1 (left mast) center: a PRW-10