Description of the radar set, tactical-technical characteristics
GES. FÜR ELEKTROAKUSTISCHE U.
MECHANISCHE APPARATE M.B.H.
|frequency:||120 … 130 MHz|
|pulse repetition time (PRT):|
|pulse repetition frequency (PRF):||500 Hz|
|pulsewidth (τ):||3 µs|
|peak power:||10 … 15 kW|
|instrumented range:||120 km|
|range resolution:||500 m|
|hits per scan:|
The radar „Freya“ oder FuMG 80 (Funk-Mess-Gerät) was a radar development in Germany before World War 2. It was named after the Norse Goddess Freya, from which was told that she could see in the dark.
In the fall of 1939, two Freya radar stations were deployed on Helgoland, two on Wangerooge, one on Borkmund one on Norderney to cover the North Sea coast. On December 18, 1939, Freya radar detected 24 R.A.F. Wellingtons on their approach to Wilhelmshaven. Interceptors from Jever, immediately alerted, were directed to the bomber group. Sixteen Messerschmitt 110s and 24 Messerschmitt 109s intercepted the British bombers well offshore. Fourteen Wellingtons were shot down. From now on, the British bombers essentially flew missions only at night. However, even at night the German „night fighters” Bf 110 G were guided to their targets by radar.
From 1938 to 1945, more than 1,000 devices have been delivered to the Armed Forces.